Never Stop Reading Fairy tales! by Karen DeMers Dowdall

I thought it would be nice to re-post one of my favorite posts about fairy tales. Considering that I am really into fantasy, paranormal, fairytales, and witches, this new blog title suits me to a T…Once Upon a time…. It is far better than just my name (it is way too long). This new blog title really makes me happy. I love fantasy stories that begin with Once Upon a time…Madeleine L’Engles, A Wrinkle in time, however, does not begin Once upon a time…it begins with, “It was a dark and stormy night”…that works too.

I have collected volumes of fairy tale books, everything from all of Hans Christian Anderson to all of the Grimm’s Fairy tales, Scotland Folk Tales, Irish Myths and Folklore, among many other volumes of Fairy tales. Perhaps, one could say, I live in a fairytale world of my own making. So true. I can’t think of a better place to live…especially in the world as we live in today.

Also, my collection of books includes my favorite books of tales about Princesses, Dragons, Monsters, and of course…Beatrix Potter’s Peter Rabbit and all his friends, too. Less I forget to mention, my love of everything in King Author’s Court and the Knights, especially, the Wizard Merlin, and also,the Hobbit’s Gandalf the Grey. So many magical creatures that do often represent the best and the worst of humanity.

These stories tell me that most, that perhaps all of humanity is redeemable, because we are not given an instruction manual for raising babies, toddlers, and especially teenagers – God love them, one and all. Oh my goodness, it can be a real juggle out there for those growing up and with our delicate egos at risk…anything can go wrong.

Perhaps, that is why I love Fantasy, Fairy tales, Paranormal, Greek Mythology, and Science fiction too. Quoting the famous words of Albert Einstein, “If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales. If you want them to be very intelligent, read them more fairy tales.” Well…perhaps it doesn’t work with everyone. I am still learning.

I will add to that quote, if I may, my own philosophy:  “Never stop reading fairytales. No matter how old you are! We are forever learning, and not much teaches us more than a good Fairy tale!”

by Karen DeMers Dowdall June 4th, 2019

31 thoughts on “Why You Should Never Stop Reading Fairytales!

Karen, thank you so much for reposting this excellent piece!

1. Thank you so much, I thought it was time for a little cheer and fantasy. Karen 🙂

2. And thank you for reblogging. you are so kind! 🙂

2. frenchc1955 says:

Here is a wonderful post from the excellent writer, Karen DeMers Dowdall!

3. I remember this post, and it’s definitely a good one to run again! It reminds me of a presentation I heard at a writer’s conference by Gregory Maguire, the author of Wicked. His message was how important it is in these trouble times we live in for adults to read fairy tales to understand and cope with the evil and chaos that surrounds us. Good does triumph in the end.

1. Yes, Good does Triumph over evil…every time, although it may take much time, but it never fails to happen. 🙂

4. jowensauthor says:

Reblogged this on Jeanne Owens, author and commented:
    You’re never too old for fairy tales!

1. Thank you so much. Yes, we are never to old for fairy tales. Karen 🙂

1. Sue, thank you and I am so happy that you liked this post. Karen 🙂

1. Yes it is so true! Karen 🙂

5. Then please do t read my fairytale book. Out Cinderella plotting your get a divorce from King Charming. That would be so upsetting but it starts Once Upon a Time and it is the truth the one Disney couldn’t tell you. 🙂

1. Your book sounds so interesting. Cinderella getting a divorce …who knew? Karen 🙂

6. Lovely to see a post from you, Karen. I also love fairytales.

1. Roberta, thank you so much. I knew you loved fairy tales. When it comes to writing we do like the same things to write about. I have been tending to medical things at home. I will explain at a later date. Have a lovely Sunday! 🙂

1. I hope all is well, Karen.

2. I wish. No, my husband is very ill. We are going to a hematologist today. I can only hope that he will be hail and healthy soon.

3. I am so sorry to hear this news, Karen. My prayers are with you both.

4. Roberta, you are the sweetest person and thank you so much. Love ya! Karen 🙂

7. Beautiful, Karen. I love the quote from Einstein. He was clearly a genius. 🙂

1. Diane, Yes, it was and I love this quote too. Karen 🙂

1. Thank so much and I am glad you liked it. Karen 🙂

1. Very much so!!!
        xoxo 🌹🌹

2. Thank you again! Karen 🙂

3. Thank you again and I am so pleased that you like it very much! Karen 🙂

8. lynnefisher says:

Lovely post and fully agree!

1. Thank you, Lynne! This is one of my “feel good” posts and I plan to do more too. Karen:)

9. Would that the whole world would read and enjoy fairy tales. They teach us so much.

1. Anne, yes, fairy tales were written to reflect on societies everywhere. They helped to change the world into a better place than they once were.