So often I hear people say, “oh, I can’t do that” and I say “ why not?” Believing in you and what you can be, what you can become, is totally dependent on believing you can. It really is that simple. You may not be the best at what you choose to be, but you can do it. Being the best is not the point. The point of it all is that you did your best.

A few years ago, I was the worst fiction writer ever, although I was good at research writing. However, fiction writing is a totally different kettle of fish, as they say. It was embarrassing, as I struggled to be a fiction writer, but I learned. I learned by reading lots of fiction, by observing and studying other people’s writing, especially on WordPress – a great place to learn.

Actually, several WordPress writers helped me to be a better writer with gentle critiques and I continued learning by reading, and most importantly, by writing! The saying Practice Makes Perfect…is true, although I am still far from being a great fiction writer. I am now greatly improved and I keep practicing and writing.

Your wish to do something or be something that you never thought you could do or be, is no different than any other learned skill. You just must believe that you can, and that is what really counts – you did your best.

35 thoughts on “Writing Grows in Fits and Starts!

Karen, you make an extremely important point in this post about writing and believing in your abilities.

1. Charles, thank so much. I was very unsure if it was the write thing to post. So happy for your approval. Karen 🙂

Karen, you did an excellent job in this post.

2. Charles, thank you so much and you are so wonderful to give me such high praise. Karen 🙂

3. frenchc1955 says:

Karen, you are very welcome.

2. ,,,and thank you for reblogging. Karen

Karen, you are very welcome.

2. frenchc1955 says:

Here is an important post on belief in one’s abilities in writing by Karen DeMers Dowdall!

3. As with most things in life, Karen, writing is 90% hard work and 10% talent. The 90% on its own can actually result in a very competent writer although maybe not an HG Wells or Ray Bradbury.

1. Roberta, thank you so much and you are so right, it is that 90% that really counts. I was worried about posting that post. I didn’t want to appear judgemental. All of us do try very hard to do our very best as writers. I just wanted to give hope to those that are struggling, like I did for so long and still do at times. Karen 🙂

Excellent post, Karen. Believe in yourself, keep learning and practicing.

5. balroop2013 says:

I agree Karen, life is a learning curve and the harder you try, the more you learn. I have seen an amazing improvement in the work of those writers who refuse to give up. 🙂

1. balroop, so have I. I have become a much better writer just by observing other people’s writing here on WordPress and by writing everyday, even if it is just a short story, a simple post or a review. Karen 🙂

1. Hello, reluctant poet, thank you so much for reblogging and for liking my little post. Karen 🙂

6. petespringerauthor says:

Thank you, Karen, for making such excellent points. Having a positive attitude and a belief in one’s self are necessities in any learning situation. I taught elementary school for thirty-one years, and I wholeheartedly believe in this concept. There were times when I was acting more like a cheerleader than a teacher with my students.

When I retired, I decided to try my hand at writing. I’ve been with my critique group a year now, and I look forward to our regular meetings. They are talented and supportive people. If I were to compare myself to these more experienced writers, I would say I’m not living up to their standards. Instead, I try to concentrate on how far I’ve come as a writer in one year. I’ve got plenty to learn still, but I’m making growth. I’ve been blessed with a strong work ethic as my parents instilled this in me from an early age. Above all, I’ve got faith in myself.

1. Pete, a pleasure to meet you, and I agree with you completely. It is so important to be with positive and encourging people when you are learning the craft of writing. You can do it. A few months or a year from now you will be amazed at what you can do with pen and paper (or keyboard)! I a pleasure to meet you, Karen 🙂

1. Tracikenworth, thank you so much for reblogging and it is a pleasure to meet you. Karen 🙂

1. You’re welcome, Karen! Thank you!

1. Lea, thank you so much and I am so glad you like this post. I believe having a-can-do-attitude in small and large endeavors is key to a happy life and a fulfilling career. Karen 🙂

1. Léa says:

Karen, that attitude won’t fail you, as you know. Léa

2. Thank you, Lea! Karen 🙂

3. Léa says:

Karen, the thanks are mine. Lea 🙂 (Merci beaucoup)

4. Lea, that is so kind of you and Merci beaucoup to you as well. Karen 🙂

7. Thank you for such an inspiring post Karen. I do agree that blogging is a great way to hone writing skills. The blogging community have been a terrific support to me and many others.

1. Brigid, thank you so much. I think half the battle to accomplish whatever our hearts desire is mostly just saying, I can and I will to the best of my ability and in doing so, everybody succeeds. That is all any of us can do, be the best we can be. If I had not believed that myself, You wouldn’t be reading my blog. Thank you for be a friend, Karen 🙂

8. Your post is spot-on! It takes years of practice to develop as a fiction writer. I’ve found that it helps to stay motivated to put in the time needed by thinking in terms of whether the story (or longer form fiction) works, rather than how good or bad it is. If a story isn’t working, I’m energized to figure out why and find a solution to fill the gap between my intent for the story and what’s on the page. If the story is bad, well, then I tend to just shut down.

1. Liz, I am sure, as great a writer and thinker as you are, it would be a rare occurance for you to shut down. It does happen to me too, and I think, it does happen to other writers who only want to produce, for there readers, their very best writing at all times. And that, my dear friend, is why you are such a brilliant writer! Karen 🙂

9. Thank you for your kind words, Karen! They mean a lot.

10. dgkaye says:

Such an inspirational post Karen ❤

1. Debbie, thank you so much. I am so glad you find it inspirational. What a lovely compliment. Thank you, thank you. Karen Anna