The earth is desolate now, even the ocean’s sand runs red. There are but a few of us left, but not enough of plant life left or cow or fowl or fish to eat. We had choices to prevent this end of everything we know. No one of import took it seriously, what lay ahead, though we were told a thousand times, and much sooner did the end come than we could have imagined.

It maybe too late for us that remain, but the earth will renew itself after many millenniums. It will begin again, as has happened many times before.

I am sad for all those we have lost and to think I regretted getting old, now, no longer an option. We buried as many as we could, but now most are fodder for the earth’s renewal, as I will be as well.

So, all is not lost and perhaps some of the most hardy and young will survive when the coming ice age arrives very soon. The ice age has a way of cleansing the earth to support life once more. This is a gift and I hope those that are left will see it for the blessing it is.

Yet, within me, there is this will to fight on, to not give up hope, to survive as well as I can, and that is my choice.

39 thoughts on “A Sue Vincent Write#Prompt: Choices

1. balroop2013 says:

Grim reality and a clarion call to wake up and do our share for saving our planet. Thanks for the warning Karen.

1. balroop, thank you. It is a grim reality and clarion call, but we still may have an alternate solution in the near future, but if our current leader is elected again…I don’t know how any alternative solutions will be implemented. That is hope for the very best and anyway…we are suvivors!! Karen 🙂

2. I really enjoyed this, Karen. Especially as I am writing a book about the end of the world now. Of course, there will be survivors who start over. It all boils down to money and greed, as always. It costs an enormous amount to transition from coal generated energy to solar generated energy and, currently, there are not enough incentives for companies and governments to do so. To much poverty to address in China and India, to much greed in first world countries.

1. Roberta, you are such a wonderful writer and I know you will do a superb reckoning in your writing of this book about the end of the world. I agree completely that greed and necessity have caused much of the problems in the world, but greed is the worse offender and leads to much poverty; that leads to wars, death, destruction which fills the world with more desperation, leading to more terrible events that further devolves into more destruction of our planet earth and human beings. But, there is hope, there is always hope, the will to survive…even though we may find outselves back in the day of the cave man and woman. I look forward to reading your book and you know we will all support you and prompt you. Karen 🙂

3. Sue Vincent says:

Desolate is the right word for the picture you paint here, Karen… and for the truth in your words.

1. Sue, I am beyond words to express how your astute comment made me feel and I am on cloud nine!! Thank you, Karen 🙂

4. jenanita01 says:

You could send this story to all the World leaders and politicians, but I doubt they would listen. They really should, as it is almost too late to save our world…

5. tidalscribe says:

I love the idea of the ice age cleansing the world.

1. Thank you so much. I like it too. 🙂

6. We need that ice age now before everything is gone. Darn this feels real.

1. yes we do! many, young and old can survive an ice age and most animals too. It will be much more difficult for plants, trees and the like, but they often manage to survive too (especially the seeds do). Not worry…it may not happened.

1. Thank you Sue, I will learn how to link write#prompts back to my site, I hope. Karen 🙂

7. willowdot21 says:

This is closer than we think 💜

1. Willow, I agree. There are islands in the pacific that have now disappeared, they are under water. Thank you. Karen 🙂

1. willowdot21 says:

Yes I know most people are walking around covering their eyes and ears covered and singing La la la 💜

2. Yes…so true. They are the lemmings who will fall of the Cliff first.

3. willowdot21 says:

💜💜🌹🌹

4. Yes…absolutely, willow, they will, however, others innocent, wil die with them. So sad.

5. willowdot21 says:

Yes indeed it is so tragic 💜

6. Yes..it could be..but I have lots of hope and this too shall pass as though it never was. Karen 🙂

7. willowdot21 says:

Hopefully 💜🙂

8. frenchc1955 says:

Karen, thank you for the offering of hope also!

1. Yes…there is always hope and humans will survive – just not very many. Depends on many things. Please remember know one knows for sure when it will happen, but at this rate….it will happen sooner than later, but still many years away. If we change things soon, It may not happen at all. This has happened before, but not manmade. 75,000 years ago there was only 15,000 humans that were left on earth, the rest died from the most gigantic Volcano that ever lost its top and blew up near Malaisia. It put the earth in total darkness and soot for 4 to 6 years with no sunlight whatsoever. Plant life died around the world followed by most animals and then human animals. Post Script: I took many courses on archeology, anthropology and genology when I was studying to become an Anthropologist. I just never forgot that one piece of information…it was scary to me, even then. But, there is always hope and humans are amazing in their ability to survive under the worst possible situations.

9. dgkaye says:

I’m afraid you may not be far from the truth. The time is now for everyone to start smelling the coffee.

1. Debby, yes…it is unbiquitous now. It seems that everyone feels it, whether they understand what the are feeling (uneasy, worried, fearful) of what is to come or not. What comes first will be the USA in bankruptcy and then the dominos fall around the world, except China. China has known all along. And, then with no money or will to address our enviromental issues people may become so frigthened that they do things they might never have done before the depression-like future we might face again. I hope this doesn’t happen, maybe someone will wake up and see what is happening. Who knows. I hope I am completely wrong.

1. dgkaye says:

I’ve thought about all you wrote here. I do hope something breaks soon, but regardless what happens with your ‘king’, one thing for sure, a big recession is no doubt coming. It’s been called for 2020, but not sure it won’t be sooner at this rate 😦

2. Yes, Debby, and I hope so too and I do believe that the earth and us will survive, but not all of us and that is such a crime. Karen 🙂

10. Yes, it is all ready happening. My hope is that people wake up to the reality that is facing us. We can still implement preventive measures.

11. I like the choice that you have chosen. Not all choices are what we want, but what we must select from. I hope the world does not fall into despair.

1. Michele, you are absolutely correct. So, what we have to choose is not really a choice at all. It has been fostered upon us, by unthinking, untelligent people in power with only greed on their minds. Little do they realize that they will be lost also, in the bankruptcy of our country and around the world, not to mention the environment and planet we live on.

Well said, Karen. And very sad.

1. Jennie, yes, it is a possible future, but I have all the hope in the world that is doesn’t happen. I do think the earth has seen worse times like WW wars, devastating earthquakes, tsurnamis, volcanos that whipped out millions of people, devastating Hurricanes, and fires that have wiped out entire forests with the people who lived there, floods, ice ages and terrible pollution – despite all of that the earth and people are still here. We do manage to survive. I hope that it continues. Karen 🙂

I love your words because like me, you are the glass-half-full. The word is ‘hope’. And when we see what can be, and know what we can do, there is always hope. That in itself can move mountains. Yes, I believe we will survive, and I believe we will thrive, in spite of it all. Thank you, Karen. 🙂

2. I agree completely with you, because all of this shall pass as though it never was. Karen 🙂