Never Stop Reading Fairytales! by Karen DeMers Dowdall

Considering that I am really into fantasy, paranormal, fairytales, and witches, this new blog title suits me to a T…Once Upon a time…. It is far better than just my name (it is way too long). This new blog title really makes me happy. I love fantasy stories that begin with Once Upon a time…Madeleine L’Engles, A Wrinkle in time, however, does not begin Once upon a time…it begins with, “It was a dark and stormy night”…that works too.

I have collected volumes of fairytale books, everything from all of Hans Christian Anderson to all of the Grimm’s Fairytales, Scotland Folk Tales, Irish Myths and Folklore, among many other volumes of Fairytales. Perhaps, one could say, I live in a fairytale world of my own making. So true. I can’t think of a better place to live…especially in the world as we live in today.

Also, my collection of books includes my favorite books of tales about Princesses, Dragons, Monsters, and of course…Beatrix Potter’s Peter Rabbit and all his friends, too. Less I forget to mention, my love of everything in King Author’s Court and the Knights, especially, the Wizard Merlin, and also,the Hobbit’s Gandalf the Grey. So many magical creatures that do often represent the best and the worst of humanity.

These stories tell me that most, that perhaps all of humanity is redeemable, because we are not given an instruction manual for raising babies, toddlers, and especially teenagers – God love them, one and all. Oh my goodness, it can be a real juggle out there for those growing up and with our delicate egos at risk…anything can go wrong.

Perhaps, that is why I love Fantasy, Fairytales, Paranormal, Greek Mythology, and Science fiction too. Quoting the famous words of Albert Einstein, “If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales. If you want them to be very intelligent, read them more fairy tales.” Well…perhaps it doesn’t work with everyone. I am still learning.

I will add to that quote, if I may, my own philosophy:  “Never stop reading fairytales. No matter how old you are! We are forever learning, and not much teaches us more than a good Fairytale!”

by Karen DeMers Dowdall June 4th, 2019

26 thoughts on “Why You Should Never Stop Reading Fairytales!

1. I agree, Karen – Fantasy Worlds are Cool 👍😃

1. Chris, yes they are and I love them, even the scary ones, because there is always a message to find in them. Thank you. Karen 🙂

2. Life IS a fairy tale…sometimes the Good one, and sometimes the Bad one…you can always tell which by the teeth-marks on dreams!

1. KC, absolutely true and I like the Good one and not the Bad one…thank you. Karen 🙂

3. I agree, never stop reading the fairy tales for concealed within is all the knowledge of life and mankind

1. Yes…Bobby and you understand fairytales perfectly. They do represent life and mankind in everyway. Thank you. Karen 🙂

4. Fantasy helps dealing with real life.

5. frenchc1955 says:

Here is a wonderful post about renaming a blog from Karen DeMers Dowdall!

1. Charles…you didn’t tell me you reblogged it. Thank you. I have been busy with company most of the day, Karen 🙂

6. Anony Mole says:

A good fairie tale would be hard to write. You have to have all the aspects of a complete story, but condensed and punchy. No extra fat in a fairie tale — only what is essential.

1. Well…I am knee deep in fairy stories…as far as reading is concerned. I did write a fairytale…Delphi Altair and in many ways it is a fairy tale and a little Sci-fi too, but definitly a fairy tale. Thank you for you insightful comment. Karen 🙂

7. I enjoyed your eloquently written renaming post, like a christening signifying a rebirth. I haven’t read any fairy tales written for adults since I read Wicked, which I enjoyed very much. The fairy tales of my childhood are the ones that hold the magic for me–and some types of poetry transport me to that realm as well.

1. Liz, thank you so much. I felt it was necessary to explain my several name changes on my blog and my name. Your beautiful comment about my writing made me feel wonderful. I was worried how it would be preceived. Thank you so very much. Karen 🙂

1. You’re most welcome, Karen!

8. then please don’t even look at Unhappily ever After my Fairytale for grown ups as this will shatter all your illusions about fairy tales. But it does begin: ‘Once upon a time’ is the way all fairy tales begin, but this is not a story, it’s the true historical account of a period of turbulence in the history of Fairyland. 🙂

1. Lucinda, fairytales are not meant to be happy, they are meant to reveal the pitiful state of humanity – the good and the very horrible aspects of being human. Even in Fairyland thiere is the good and the very bad. They reveal society as it truly is and put a light in dark places. Karen

9. Amazing. I absolutely love the world of Fairytales ever since I was a young girl. They give life Magic and Mystery. 🙂 And I love Happy Endings. And the existence of Fairytales means in life there is always the hope of a Happy Ending. 🙂 Or New Beginning. The books I read as a child are the ones I remember most. “The Enchanted Wood” and “The Magic Faraway Tree” by Enid Blyton had me hooked. Then there was “The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe”. The list goes on….

1. I know! I absolutely love the world of Fairytales too. Since I was just a little girl too. I saw the world in magical terms and I never outgrew those feelings. Especially anything like The Enchanted Wood and Trees too. I think there is more magic in the world that may not be imaginery. Some people do see fairies, especially near a very old forest/woods and water. Thank you for your wonderful comment. Karen 🙂

10. dgkaye says:

I so agree Karen. This was a beautiful reminder. 🙂 xx

11. Léa says:

Always in a search for what was real, even as a very young child, I could not sustain interest in fantasy. For some of us, the road is already surreal. However, it is never too late as long as we are here so perhaps it is time to try again.

A dear friend who traveled a similar road clung to fantasy and said it was his safe place.

1. Lea, sounds like you could have been a researcher. Surprisingly, I lived in both worlds. I have a master’s degree in research and I taught it and worked at a well-known hospital (Emory). I love researching too and discovery.

1. Léa says:

Karen, you are kind. My degrees are all in Psychology. Research is something I do for fun… 😉 I do enjoy it. Thank you.

2. Lea, have you thought about reading a book about psychology in a fictional way as a novel? That would be so interesting and rare to find. Karen

3. Léa says:

Karen, what a thought… there are many on my shelves to choose from. Thank you for the suggestion and it is taking on a life of its own. 🙂 Thank you. Léa

4. Lea, my pleasure and I am thrilled that you may well have a best-seller one of these days! Karen 🙂