For a couple of years now, I feel as though I have adopted many children just by sending them cards, letters, and sometimes gifts. I love them. It is the most wonderful thing in the world to do. I hope that anyone interested would consider these beautiful Lokota Indian children by sending them a card, a letter and/or a small donation or gift. Anything at all would make a difference in their lives. They have already lost so much that is breaks my heart and so giving just a little love, joy, and care helps them so much.

Native American (Lakota) Culture

Culture is defined as the established beliefs, social norms, customs and traditions of a group of people. The same is true for Native American culture. Factors like geography, history and generations of spirituality, stories and traditions also shape the culture of any given tribe or people. Native Americans are no exception.

Here at St. Joseph’s Indian School, we have had the privilege of working with Native American families and communities since 1927. In 1991, the Akta Lakota Museum & Cultural Center was established on our campus to honor and preserve the historical artifacts and contemporary art that tell the story of the Lakota (Sioux) people of the Northern Plains.

Native American culture is sometimes thought of as a thing of the past. However, contemporary powwows, art and language revitalization efforts make a real difference in their lives as their traditional identity.

39 thoughts on “St. Joseph’s Indian School

1. What a wonderful, important message to share! Thank you so much!

1. Thank you, southernwriter! K. D.

1. KC, yes..it is and I have been volunteering in many types of help for kids for many years, since I was about 16 years old. I do love to help in that way! Thank you! Karen πŸ™‚

2. What a lovely cause to be involved with, Karen. We do similar things for our disadvantaged children here in South Africa.

1. Roberta, thank you so much and I can imagine you do! I have been helping children feel cared for since I was 16 years old. I have always done this. I worked in a Chinese Children’s burn ward as a volunteer, in a leprosy colony at 22 years old that was run by French nuns. Also, at an orphanage too. At St. Jude Hospital for critically ill children as a RN volunteer. Caring for children has also been important to me. I was available and knew I just had to help. thank you, Roberta. Karen πŸ™‚

3. What a special school to support Karen. I notice the children are not looking for massive gifts like many others. Thank you for highlighting the Lakota people.

1. Brigid, thank you, and yes, these children are so grateful for whatever they have and are given. They live at the school. It is such a joy. Karen πŸ™‚

4. Mike says:

We contribute to this, too. Problem is, we’re up to our eyeballs in dreamcatchers. We’ve handed out several to the neighborhood children, and I have one twirling near my writing desk.

Still a good cause!

1. Mike, how wonderful that you are contributing to the Lakota children. So, my Dreamcatchers I use for Christmas tree decorations! I am considering having two Christmas trees next year! Karen πŸ™‚

5. frenchc1955 says:

Karen, This is a wonderful thing to do!

1. Charles, thank you so much. I do love those little ones, and Father Anthony is a wonderful gift to them as well. Karen πŸ™‚

6. frenchc1955 says:

This is a wonderful thing to do! Thank you to K.D. Dowdall!

1. Charles, thank you so much for reblogging! Karen πŸ™‚

Karen, You are very welcome!

1. Hola! Buenos dias! Me llamo Karen. Como esta? Como se llama? Gracias! Chau! Karen πŸ™‚

1. Hola, Mamen, Gracias! Buenas naches! De nada. Incanado! I have not spoken Spanish since I was in college many years ago. Karen πŸ™‚

2. Hello Karen! thanks for your effort to speak my language … You do it very well πŸ™‚ … Nice to follow your blog .. Hugs of light ❀

3. Mamen, Gracias! Hugs to you too! Karen

7. This prompted me to google the Lakota Indians and also listen to a very interesting historical link on YouTube going back to the arrival of the Europeans. I learned that prior to the White man settling North America the Indians called it Turtle Island.what you are doing is wonderful Karen I think I will pick up the gauntlet and follow suit. Hugs!

1. Debbie (I hope I remembered your name correctly If not, please let me know.) I am so glad that you feel as I do, because it is a joy to do. And, yes, the Lakota Indians have a fascinating history, and it is sad to see what has happened to them, but they have survived as a culture in many ways. Thank you so much! Karen πŸ™‚

1. It’s Holly, that’s ok though. Yes, my heart went out to these amazing people! ❀️

2. Holly, thank you…! I am so thrilled that you are now a part of sending a card or a letter to these great little children or whatever you choose to give. You are incredibly wonderful! Karen πŸ™‚

3. I really am excited about it! 😊

4. Holly, it is exciting and I am so excited for you too!
        Another WordPress author, M.C. Tuggle, (https://mctuggle.com) has been with St. Joseph’s Indian School for a number of years and I didn’t even know it, until now! We are in good company! Karen πŸ™‚

1. Alethea, thank you so much! It is such a joy to connect with these wonderful children. Karen πŸ™‚

8. Thanks so much for sharing! ❀

1. Bette, you are welcome and it was my pleasure! Karen πŸ™‚

9. Grady says:

Thank you so much for sharing!

1. Grady, you are welcome and my pleasure to do so. Karen πŸ™‚

10. dgkaye says:

Karen, this is just beautiful. You have a beautiful soul. ❀

1. Debbie, thank you so much and well, it takes one to know one. You have a beautiful soul! Karen πŸ™‚

1. dgkaye says:

Thank you my friend. ❀

11. Anony Mole says:

RE: https://www.stjo.org/

Does this mean that Native Americans have generally reconciled the word “Indian” into their culture? I’m confused.

1. No, they don’t regard themselves that way at all. That was for White Europeans, in their ignorance. They did not look at color the way Europeans do. They believed that all were created under one Great Chief and their believe in an afterlife was not based on sin. They did not judge so harshly humanity. Karen πŸ™‚