Looking back in human history, one can see that war is the quickest way a Tyrant can assert power to destroy democracy and rule as dictator.  However, how does a nation recognize a Tyrant?  Here are some famous quotes to consider.

All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.” Alexis de Tocqueville

“In every age, it has been the tyrant, the oppressor and the exploiter who has wrapped himself in the cloak of patriotism, or religion, or both to deceive and overawe the People.” Eugene V. Debs

The world is made up for the most part of morons and natural tyrants, sure of themselves, strong in their own opinions, never doubting anything. Clarence Darrow

Ignorance has always been the weapon of tyrants; enlightenment the salvation of the free. Bill Richardson

The welfare of the people in particular has always been the alibi of tyrants.  Albert Camus

It is no coincidence that the growth of modern tyrants has in every case been heralded by the growth of prejudice. Henry A. Wallace

Tyrants always have some slight shade of virtue; they support the laws before destroying them. Voltaire

Secrecy is the freedom tyrants dream of.  Bill Moyers

“Those who are capable of tyranny are capable of perjury to sustain it.” Lysander Spooner

“The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law.” Christopher Hitchens

20 thoughts on “The Tyranny of Fire and Fury

1. Exactly! #OnPoint

Good post! 👍

1. Felicia, thank you and sorry I am so late with this thank you. Karen 🙂

1. Thank you Jean! I don’t usually in political, but this seemed like a necessary thing to talk about. K D 🙂

2. Timely quotes. Certain world leaders need to stop playing at ‘mine’s bigger than yours’.

1. Absolutely! This is not a game or a show me yours kind of thing! K D

3. daboogieblog says:

Timeless quotes! My favorite came from Voltaire, but each was was very powerful!

1. Hi! Thank you so much. My favorite is Voltaire too! K D 🙂

1. daboogieblog says:

Great minds think alike!

4. Great post Karen! These are all such timely quotes that are worth being shared.

1. Hi Kim! I am so glad you think so too. I just went to your site and I had to laugh with glee! Trump and the Gorilla! Loved it! Karen 🙂

1. I probably overuse the Hulk punching Trump gif but I’ve warned people that it brings me to my Happy Place. Whenever he does something stupid, embarrassing, infuriating, disgusting, insane, frightening, etc. I picture that gif. And let’s face it, since he basically does at least one of those things on a daily basis, we all need a Happy Place to retreat to!😒

2. Kim…it made my day! It is the most wonderful thing ever! I am so glad we are now followers and friends! Karen 🙂

3. Thank you Karen! And I feel the same way. Hugs!😊

4. 🙂 and hugs too! Karen

5. frenchc1955 says:

Excellent and very important post!

6. frenchc1955 says:

I do not usually deal with politics in my blog, but the time is too dangerous, and democracy cannot survive without people speaking up. I am proud to reblog this post.

1. Charles, thank you so much! I felt it was needed and about 76% of Americans don’t want to see another war, a nuke war! I can’t imagine. K D

7. cindy knoke says:

He is going to start a third world war to deflect attention from his cracked character.

8. pjlazos says:

These truly are strange and dangerous times and I hardly know what to do about it other than not sink into fear and discouragement. Thanks for this post.🙏