I was an art major my first year in college, so I considered that perhaps, “be that as it may”, I should “give it a go” to use “Paint Box” and “practice makes perfect”, so… I am doing my own twitter, Facebook, Tumblr, and WordPress Advertising, just to see if I can do it, for my fiction novels, especially Garrett’s Bones.  So…I am going to put three of them here for comments and honest feedback. Next, I am joining KDP and I can make my book FREE for honest feedback as well! So, this first attempt is not too bad. A rebellious teenager who might just be a murderer!

Number 2

Number 3

Feedback greatly appreciated!  And, thank you!  Karen

26 thoughts on “An Art Experiment: Designing My Own Ads for Garrett’s Bones

1. John Kraft says:

I’d go for #3, but if the girl is murdered the perp is more than just a sexual predator.

1. John, thank you so much, you are right, I need to add that he is a murderer too. I missed that completely – Duh! I thing #3 is the best too! Karen 🙂

1. John Kraft says:

Another pair of eyes is the best editor.

2. I too am drawn to the traditional look of *3, this the one that be most purchased. The blurbs on *2 should be confined to the rear cover and the large monochrome on *1 is just too big. Good luck and well done for an interesting exercise.

1. Hi Bobby, thank you! Your input is great. You are right, # 2 needs big changes! #1 I agree – way too big and not interesting. This are very valuable insights! Karen 🙂

2. Bobby, yes, number 3 is best, I agree! Thank you so much! Karen 🙂

3. Reblogged this on Writing, events, competitions and the occasional personal musing and commented:
    An interesting experiment for what looks to be a book worth reading

1. Bobby, thank you again! If ever you decide to read it, your feedback would be invaluable! Karen 🙂

1. I somehow fear my somewhat under-developed powers of review will not do justice to this anticipated literary treat but I will do my best.

2. Bobby, that is okay… I doubt my writing does a book justice, either!! Karen 🙂

4. Julia says:

Hi Karen, first: congrats on the Writer’s Digest recommendation. For #2 – I would put quotation marks around it since it is what they said and not leave it in all caps. For both #2 and #3 I would also like to see the book in the lower right or left corner. Right now it looks like it has been cut off at the top. I hope this helps.

1. Julia, thank you for your great feedback, Yes, you are so right – and whatever was I thinking! I am going to redo these and then post them here again for everyone who gave me feedback can see how valuable there input is for me! I am so grateful! Thank you, Karen 🙂

1. Julia says:

I’m glad I could be of assistance. 😊

2. Julia, thank you also, for the congrats! It was a wonderful surprise to have received a nice commentary! Karen 🙂

5. frenchc1955 says:

I am impressed with all of them, but I think a combination of #2 and #3 might work best. Perhaps it is just me, but I liked see the accolades in number 2.

1. Charles, thank you so much for reblogging! It was a fun experiment. Karen 🙂

6. frenchc1955 says:

Please look at the ads K.D. Dowdall has designed for her book and consider giving some feedback to a talented writer and designer!

7. Number 3….However change the last to: “Is it someone they know?”

Like the three bears, Number 1 is too little, and number 2 is too much. (But if you choose number 2 for the valuable endorsements, I would correct verb agreement and make the list into a statement such as: “Compelling! Intriguing! A fast-paced thriller that satisfies… ” –Writers Digest, followed by “featured on E-book Daily,” “nominated for 24th annual Writers Digest Self-Published Book Awards”

But if the E-Book and SP Book award, and Amazon Author Central focus on author more than title, I would put THOSE mentions on your inside bio. But that is my Tech Writing degree talking…

Best of luck!

1. KC, Wow. I am copying all of your suggestions! I am doing several of my own Ads and all will be different. Some vertical, some horizontal and with verbs that agree and every single suggestion you have just given me! Fantastic! Thank you so much! Karen 🙂

I’d go with #3. #2 gives out too much info for the cover. Maybe put that on the back?

1. Hi Jennie, yes, you are correct – way to much information. 98% of people responding agree with you! So, I chose that too with the suggestions made by some of the respondents. It turned out well. Karen 🙂

I’m glad. 🙂

2. Jennie, I agree! Thank you for your wise suggestion! Karen 😉

My pleasure, Karen!

9. theryanlanz says:

I think it looks great. I particularly like how ominous the character to the right looks, as if you can’t quite tell who it is.

-Ryan Lanz
    A Writer’s Path

1. Thank you!! All the comments I have had, have greatly improved the look of my Ads! K D 🙂