kdowdallonwriting-tips-12

Posted by Melissa Donovan on January 26, 2017 on Writing Forward.com

This list includes a mix of writing tips and some of the tips Melissa thinks are essential.  However, I believe that these are mostly for the beginner writer and can be used as a reminder for the more experienced writer.

1. Read as much as you can (and make sure you read quality writing) and write every day — practice makes perfect.
  2. Acquire some resources: dictionary, thesaurus, style guide, grammar handbook, and books on writing.
  3. Join or start a writers’ group and get feedback on your
  4. Lower your expectations and allow yourself to write badly. It’s better to write crap than to write nothing at all.
  5. Feeling uninspired? Writer’s block is no excuse; find some writing prompts and exercises. Use them.
  6. Do you want to write a novel? Launch a blog? Submit your poetry? Set goals and then get busy reaching them.
  7. Be yourself. You have your own voice; let people hear it.
  8. Don’t compare everything you write to more successful writers. They started somewhere too.
  9. Tell your inner editor to take a vacation. Let yourself write freely and creatively. You can always edit and revise later.
  10. Get organized. All those notes, journals, and all that research! Binders, notebooks, and computer files. Put things in order so you can find what you need when you need it.
  11. Pay attention to your language: word choice and sentence structure is the difference between an award-winning novel and a book that sits on a shelf collecting dust (poetry exercises are great for this).
  12. Know your audience. Write for them using language they understand.
  13. Be creative and take risks. You’ll never know unless you try.
  14. Revise, edit, proofread, and polish everything you write before anyone else sees it!
  15. Show, don’t tell (you knew that was coming).

Do you have any writing tips to add to this list? If so, then leave a comment. And keep writing!

25 thoughts on “15 Quick Writing Tips !

I would add: enjoy the writing!

1. I would too! 🙂 But, I didn’t write this piece, this was from Writer’s Digest and their guest author..noted on this post! 🙂

2. frenchc1955 says:

This is a wonderful post with important suggestions for writers!

3. typo on item 3. 🙂 “Join or start a writers’ group and get feedback on your […]”

1. Hi Just me! Well, it is a good thing I didn’t write it …looks like Writer’s Digest missed it. Please note the author’s name who wrote this article, although I can’t say I have never made a mistake and I have had lots of typos, grammatical errors, and so forth in the past. Thank you for noting this error, truly, especially if I write something and you find a typo or worse, because I do care and I would thank you and fix it! 🙂 Karen

1. Ah, ok. I was lead to believe you’d written it! Cheers!

2. Hi Just Me, just wondering what lead you to believe I had written it? I think that is kind of important for me to know. 🙂

3. It’s no big deal. Don’t worry! 🙂

4. Hi Just Me, Okay!! 🙂

5. I just checked and the source made the correction, so all is good!

4. Thanks for sharing the list. I subscribed to Writer’s Digest for so many years and still have many of the magazines here for reference.

1. Hi Insearchofitall, I to subscribe to Writer’s Digest as well as other writing venues and I love Writer’s Digest! 🙂

1. I’d subscribe again but I need to finish reading what I have first. 🙂 Marlene

5. Mathew Paul Gundersen says:

I enjoyed this post. Some good solid tips here for beginners and established writers alike.

1. Hi Mathew, I am so glad you found the writing tips helpful, I know those tips have been useful to me. 🙂

1. Thank you so very much for reblogging. Those tips have been very helpful for me and I hope they will be for other writers too. 🙂

1. Hi Cafereading, Thank you so much for reblogging 15 Quick Writing Tips! Much appreciated! K. D. 🙂

6. Balaka says:

Helpful tips…will surely follow them..thanks for sharing these tips

1. Your are welcome! 🙂

7. morgenbailey says:

Reblogged this on MorgEn Bailey – Creative Writing Guru and commented:
    This does what it says on the tin. Which is your favourite? Mine’s no.4 and yes, a list wouldn’t be complete without no.15.

1. Hello Morgen, I agree with you #4 to me is my #1 pick out of those #15 tips, however, they are all good. Writing badly is an exercise to give a person experience, just like riding a bicycle, ice skating or anything else. Thank you so much for your comment! Karen 🙂

8. Reblogged this on Writing, events, competitions and the occasional personal musing and commented:
    I like this list, although some may seem a bit too familiar. Number 10 is a cracker, it certainly serves as a reminder to me. Good advice.

1. Bobby, thank you so much for reblogging the 15 Quick Writing Tips! I like most of them too! K. D.